Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Barn Wood Salvage


I guess we could say that I'm just a TAD obsessed with ANYTHING made out of old barn wood. A little while back, my grandparents tore down their barn built in the early 1900s.  This was right around the time we decided to purchase our current home and of course I was dreaming of that large farmhouse style dining room table.  We dug (meaning my hubby, dad and pops dug) through the pile of wood to pick out some pieces with incredible features...meaning holes, scratches, and all the things normal people would throw to the side for fire wood.




Once we had all of the wood picked out to build the table, Cody and my Dad went to work!


I knew I wanted big chunky legs, so they pulled some large beams that were in the barn.


When I was first envisioning a farmhouse table, a lot of the times these days you see the bottom painted with the white left natural.  So when I was dreaming of the table, that was the original plan.  However...when I walked in and saw this...


We all quickly decided...HECK NO!! NO PAINT!! This wood was too beautiful, had too much weathering, history, and gorgeous features to hide.  So we went with the lightest stain we could find and this was the BEST decision.  The deep grain of the wood soaked up the stain differently in each spot making the character of the table even more incredible!


 This dining room table turned out even better than I could have ever dreamed of! It will also never leave this house since it took six GROWN MEN to get it up and over our island since that was the only way to get it into the dining room...Thanks guys! :) 




So along with this amazing dining room table, my handsome hunk also built a hallway table for our back entry way.  He's seriously the best y'all!!  We had picked out a large, wide piece of wood to make a bench for the dining room table, but just never got around to it. 

I had seen some tables with super cute angled details at the base to give it character so I showed Cody a picture, and off he went (like always).  After seeing the dining room table, I was SO hesitant in painting this wood.  Buuuut seeing it in the space, I went with my gut and it was oh so right. 

Check out some of the detail that shines through...


...alllll the heart eyes!!  

I hope you all enjoyed all of the details of our fun barn wood salvage projects!! Have a lovely day!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top